Friday 9 August 2013

Crazy Chaotic Chaos

Hello people... or to the empty Internet cyberspace... haha I apologize for an impromptu MIA after only one blog post. It was not what I intended, but ahem life got in the way much faster than I expected.

Let me explain: The joys of moving into a new city away from family, with only a high school education, is that chances are, you don't have a stable full-time job waiting for you upon arrival. Such began a painstaking search for a job. Throughout high school, I worked at Absolute Home Detailing, cleaning houses, but I at no time had an "official job." That is to say, a job at a company that wasn't owned/run by my family who took pity and hired me. I've never had an interview before, nor written a résumé.
My experience was as followed put in bullet form with tips!

1. Do  not trust online résumé builders/templates that say "free." Three hours spent making a résumé, only to discover that it costs money to print is heartbreaking. I finally found a template in google documents. It was free.

2. Don't bother going in and handing out resumes to the "bigger" franchises. At my parent's suggestion, I went equipped with an armful of resumes and a list of places I wanted to apply. However, much to my dismay I was turned away, as they only accepted on-line applications. My suggestion is to check online. Google is a miracle and after a wasted day of job hunting via foot, I went onto google, typed in where I wanted to apply/careers. For example: Starbucks careers, results in the application form popping up top of the page. 

3. If you're like me and your only form of transportation is a bus, make sure you plan it so that you are at your prospective workplace an hour ahead of time. I figured to get to the interview 30 minutes early would be plenty of time. I didn't consider that I suck with navigating buses, and needless to say somehow managed up at the opposite end of town, and only just made it to the interview on time. This leads me to tip number four...

4. Call before hand and confirm your interview. The manager had forgotten I was coming in for an interview and had gone home early; Two hours and eight blisters later I was really bummed.
5. Persistence is the key. Two days after the dud interview I got a call from Starbucks for an one. I went the next day and was hired on the spot. Currently, I have to say I love working at Starbucks! My co-workers are fantastic.

So on this long overdrawn post, I'll sum this up by saying that with orientation, and a surprise family visit, life has been very hectic. I've been walking about an hour a day, but running has been non existent. Also *ahem* Starbucks has really great drinks, and I may have had far to many these past couple of weeks, all in the name of science of course... I mean if I'm working there I should know the product? Right?

Anyhow, my question is twofold; a) any health-ified Starbucks suggestions?  b) any quick breakfast ideas for a gal on the go that's and easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment